This simple, rustic appetizer has terrific flavor and is a favorite with my family. I mentioned in the directions that I like to let the bean mixture sit for a bit, but that is not included in the prep time. This is a great starter for and Italian or Mediteranean style meal.
- 1 cup cannellini beans, cooked (white)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, shredded or chiffonade
- 1 -2 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 6 slices crusty Italian bread, cut into 1 inch thick slices
- more olive oil, to dress the bread
- garlic, to dress the bread
- Preheat grill pan or broiler.
- In a bowl, gently combine the beans, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, red pepper, basil and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- It's nice if the mixture can sit for a half an hour or so.
- For the bread: I usually warm a clove or two of chopped garlic in some olive oil to infuse the flavor.
- This can be done on the stovetop over VERY low heat, or in the microwave heated for about 30 seconds.
- Add a couple shakes of salt and pepper, and brush garlic oil evenly over the bread slices.
- Toast bread under the broiler, or on a grill pan for a few minutes (3-5), until slightly brown and crisp, or until there are grill marks.
- Top the bread slices with the bean mixture and drizzle any extra balsamic/oil over the top.
- This bruschetta is nice served with a tossed green salad.
This was great! I was looking for something light to have for lunch because I had a rather big breakfast one day last week, and this really hit the spot. These would be great to serve guests :-) Very flavorful! Thanks Becky~!!
We LOVED this. We doubled it to use the whole can of beans; only thing I'd do different would be maybe cut back a bit on the red pepper when you double (since the 12 oz beans aren't a full 2 cups). It was spicy, but really really good. It's kind of messy so using it as a dip might be a good idea.
Outstanding Dip! My family and guests loved this! I doubled the recipe and added two large tomatoes, diced. So healthy, easy, and delicious that I'm sure we'll be having this again. Thanks!!! Made for Veg*n Swap.