Chef #750419's Note:
Adapted from Sunset- January 2009. An instant hit with the entire family. Easy to make, very flavorful, and easy on the budget. A rough-textured bread is best for soaking up flavor! The original recipe called for fresh herbs which I will try when my garden is producing. In the meantime, dried seem to be fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups bread, day-old
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, coarsley sliced
- 3 celery ribs, coarsley sliced
- 6 cups broth
- 2 -4 cups cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups swiss chard, chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Tear bread into bite-sized chunks and spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with about 2 Tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper, stir and bake until toasty- 10 to 20 minutes depending on your preference. Allow for the fact that they will harden some after they are removed from the oven.
- 2In a large pot, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft- about 5 minutes.
- 3Add carrots and celery and continue cooking, stirring frequently, approximately 5 more minutes.
- 4Add broth and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes and chard, cover, and simmer another 15 minutes.
- 6Just before serving, add basil, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
- 7To serve, top each bowl of soup with several croutons. Add grated parmesan if desired.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.9
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 1600.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 10.4 g