Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
A twist on traditional bean soup.
- 2 lbs dried great northern beans (or other type of white bean)
- water, to cover
- salt and pepper
- 1 ham bone
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 potatoes, large dice (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Sort beans and rinse.
- In a large stock pot place ham bone, beans, onion, celery, garlic, parsley, chicken boulion, and salt and pepper.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and cover.
- Cook until beans are tender. About 4 hours.
- If desired add diced potatoes and cook until tender.
- Add diced tomatoes and tobasco sauce.
- Check seasoning, and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Simmer covered for at least 30 more minutes to allow flavors to meld.