Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
This recipe is a combination of things I had on hand and wanted to make a hearty stew--something to stick to the ribs. Serve with rolls, salad for a complete meal.
Top Review by breezermom
I absolutely adored the taste of this recipe! I chose to make it today, because I didn't have to work today and would have the time. I'm so glad I did...this is delicious. Mine did not turn out too thick at all, in fact, it may have been a little soupy, even after 4 hours of cooking. But whether this turns out as a soup or a stew, it is delicious and I'll make it again! Thanks for posting. This is a keeper! Made for 123 Hits tag.
- 1 cup dried white bean
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 lb smoked ham, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced smoked sausage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (use white and or or a combination of wild mushrooms)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight, covered with water; drain.
- In a heavy 6-quart Dutch oven or cast- iron pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring continuously, until it becomes dark brown (like dark chocolate), for 20 to 25 minutes. (Do not rush the process and do not not stop stirring or the roux will burn, and you will have to start over. Stay away from the phone).
- Add the onion,bell pepper, celery, salt, thyme, bay leaves, cayenne and black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the ham and sausage and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the ham and sausage begin to cook. Stir in the beans and garlic. Stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally. If the stew becomes too thick, stir in more broth (or water if you don't have the broth).
- Add the mushrooms. Cook for 30 minutes longer.