1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Babs in Toyland's Note:
I have been making this recipe for so many years I cannot remember where it came from, but it is my favorite soup in the winter. It is delicious and my entire family loves it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried white bean, rinsed and picked over (such as Great Northern or cannellini)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced yellow onions
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup diced fennel or 1/2 cup diced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup fine diced sun-dried tomato (use the dry ones and reconstitute them in some hot water for 10 minutes before chopping)
- 1/4 cup finely diced fresh parsley
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- 2Heat oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat.
- 3Add onions, carrots, fennel, garlic, pepper flakes and bay leaves.
- 4Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add beans and 7 cups stock.
- 6Increase heat and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- 8(Can be made one day ahead and cover and refrigerate at this point).
- 9Bring to a simmer before continuing.
- 10Add pasta and tomatoes to soup.
- 11Cover partially and simmer until beans and pasta are very tender, adding up to 1 cup stock if too thick, about 15 minutes.
- 12Add parsley.
- 13Taste and adjust seasonings with salt.
- 14Discard bay leaves.
- 15Ladle soup into bowls.
- 16Serve, passing cheese seperately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean and Pasta Soup With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.2
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 587.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 23.0 g