Recipe by Dib's
This soup is an all time family favorite-light, fresh tasting yet filling. Since I'm a garlic freak I like to serve this with a Caesar Salad and hot rolls.
Top Review by spatchcock
Oh my gosh, Di, I'm so glad you suggested this. It was a hit: I left out the prosciutto because I don't eat meat, and I left out the celery because I don't care for it. Otherwise I just added a few more carrots to make up for the loss and left everything else the same! It was a great light soup, very pretty in white serving bowls, and had both an unusual and wonderful taste. Thanks!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 16 wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 3 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- fresh ground salt & pepper
- pesto sauce, and additional cheese for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot heat oil over medium heat and add garlic.
- Saute for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and prosciutto and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour soup into a serving bowl and add the cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- Offer additional cheese and pesto at the table.
- ***Donot add the cheese in the soup pot or it WILL stick to the sides.