Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
From Cooking Light, March 2007
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup pinot grigio wine (drink the rest of the bottle with the soup!) or 1⁄2 cup other light white wine (drink the rest of the bottle with the soup!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups finely shredded collard greens (about 6 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add wine, pepper, and salt.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Add greens, thyme, and broth.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until greens are tender.
- Add beans; simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
There is a reason I stopped my subscription to Cooking Light magazine. This soup was tasteless, despite my efforts to save it. I am sure it was healthy, but I will not try this recipe again....