Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A real comfort food, especially for cold winter days. White bean soup is my family's favorite, and I often use any of the following beans: butterbeans, baby or large lima, navy, or Great Northern. Prep time does not include soaking time.
- 1 cup dried lima beans (or any white bean)
- 1 quart hot water (not boiling)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 12 baby carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons very low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits or 3 tablespoons bacon, pieces (I use Hormel or Oscar Mayer, NO artificial bacon bits!)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt or salt substitute (I use No-salt)
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated spinach flakes (optional)
- Pour quart water over beans and let soak overnight.
- Drain, rinse and drain.
- In 3-quart covered pot, put beans, onion,1 cup water, and chicken broth.
- Cook until almost done (30-90 minutes).
- Cooking time will depend upon size of beans.
- Add carrots, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and real bacon pieces (bits).
- (Add spinach if you are using it.) Adjust seasonings and add salt substitute, if needed.
- Simmer, covered until beans and carrots are done.
- This could be made in the crockpot, just do not salt until beans are almost done.
This soup is fantastic! Far exceded my expectations for such a simple dish! I used what I had on hand, which was regular chopped carrots rather than baby carrots. I also used 2 97% fat free ham slices instead of the bacon. I put the ham and carrots in the pot and browned the ham, then added all the other ingredients (except beans) and simmered for a while. Then I stirred in a can of white beans (didn't have time for dried ones) and added 1/2 cup of green peas. I could have eaten the whole pot by myself, but I kindly shared it with my husband - who liked it too. I will definately be keeping this one!