1 hr 10 mins
A real comfort food, especially for cold winter days. White bean soup is my family's favorite, and I often use any of the following beans: butterbeans, baby or large lima, navy, or Great Northern. Prep time does not include soaking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried lima beans (or any white bean)
- 1 quart hot water (not boiling)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 12 baby carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons very low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons bacon bits or 3 tablespoons bacon, pieces (I use Hormel or Oscar Mayer, NO artificial bacon bits!)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt or salt substitute (I use No-salt)
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated spinach flakes (optional)
- 1Pour quart water over beans and let soak overnight.
- 2Drain, rinse and drain.
- 3In 3-quart covered pot, put beans, onion,1 cup water, and chicken broth.
- 4Cook until almost done (30-90 minutes).
- 5Cooking time will depend upon size of beans.
- 6Add carrots, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and real bacon pieces (bits).
- 7(Add spinach if you are using it.) Adjust seasonings and add salt substitute, if needed.
- 8Simmer, covered until beans and carrots are done.
- 9This could be made in the crockpot, just do not salt until beans are almost done.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for White Bean and Carrot Soup (Low-Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (677 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.9
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 866.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules