Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
In ‘The Ski House Cookbook’
Make and share this White Bean and Bacon Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans (or other small white beans)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the bacon to drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pot.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, shallot, and garlic to the pot and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, beans, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the beans begin to fall apart.
- Puree the soup until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Alternatively, transfer the soup in batches to a traditional blender and puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Crumbled the reserved bacon.
- Serve the soup immediately, topped with the bacon.