Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
In 'Make it Fast, Cook it Slow' by Stephanie O'Day; mild
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green apples, cut in tiny chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Use a 5-quart slow cooker; put the butter in the stoneware; dump in the beans.
- Add in the onion and apple; add the garlic, chili powder, thyme, cumin, salt, and pepper; pour in the broth.
- Stir in the yogurt; cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- The chili is done when the onion has softened and the flavors have melded.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese before serving; serve with cornbread.
This was good - I really enjoyed the interesting combination of the tangy green apples with the white bean chili. The only thing for us is that it came out as more of a soup/stew than a chili! I think next time I will put a bit more broth or cook it on high the entire time.