Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans white asparagus, drained reserving liquid
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup asparagus water
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into julienne strips
- 1⁄3 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Drain asparagus spears, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Heat margarine in a saucepan.
- Add flour; blend.
- Gradually pour in asparagus liquid and milk.
- Stir constantly over low heat until sauce thickens and bubbles.
- Add cooked ham and seasonings.
- Gently stir in asparagus spears; heat through but do not boil.
- Serve in preheated serving dish.
This is comfort food! I loved this dish, even though I could not find white asparagus. So I used green asparagus. I hope this did not affect the flavor(don't they just cover up the asparagus to keep it white?). This was excellent ! Thanks Mimi!
I was searching Recipezaar last night to find a recipe for a jar of white asparagus I had and decided to try this one. It was very quick and easy and the only thing I added was salt and pepper as additional seasonings. This was a great side dish which I will use again and start to experiment with with maybe some horseradish or other items to add a spicy kick. Nice recipe Mimi, thanks for the posting.