Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is originally a Karin Goren masterpiece. Karin Goren is a local Israeli food personality, always smiling, always baking the most wonderful things. I watched her do this cheesecake on her show, Sweet Secrets, and was able to recreate this wonderful dish over the past weekend. Of course, not being able to leave well enough alone, I played around with her recipe, made a few changes, and here is my version
- 150 g cookie crumbs
- 100 g melted butter
Cheesecake Filling Base
- 1 kg soft white cheese (I used 9% fat, can use cream cheese)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
White Chocolate Addition to Filling
- 300 g white chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup cream (unwhipped)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
Dark Chocolate Addition to Filling
- 300 g dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup cream (unwhipped)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- To make the base:.
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter and pat into the bottom of a 26 cm diameter springform pan.
- Place in the oven to "set" for about 7 minutes.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling base:.
- Beat all the ingredients together until well blended.
- Pour half into a large, 4 cup measure cup, pour the other half into another 4 cup measuring cup. Alternatively, you can use jugs, pitchers, whatever is available, as long as it has a handle and a spout.
- Melt the white chocolate chips together with the cream and stir to blend.
- Add the cornflour and stir again.
- Add this mixture into one of the cheese filling jugs. Stir to blend.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips together with the cream and stir to blend.
- Add this mixture into the other of the cheese filling jugs. Stir to blend.
- Okay, here comes the fun part --
- Carefully pour a portion of the white chocolate filling into the middle of the crust.
- Now carefully (I mean CAREFULLY) pour a portion of the dark chocolate filling into the middle of the white filling.
- Now CAREFULLY pour some of the white chocolate filling into the dark chocolate filling.
- Now CAREFULLY pour some of the dark chocolate filling -- okay you get the picture?.
- Keep this up until you have a series of concentric circles. Again, I cannot mention it enough, do this carefully so you don't mess up the circles.
- Very carefully transfer this to the oven.
- Bake at 200 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 120 degrees C and bake for a further 60 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and let the cheesecake hang out in the cooling oven for another 2 hours.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and let it hang out there for another 24 hours.
- When you cut slices you will have the most gorgeous white and dark "zebra-ed" portions.
well maybe it was due to the change in measurements but the filling was so thick there was NO way i was able to pour it to make the spirals, so i ended up doing swirls. i was VERY dissapointed that it didn't work for me, i was really looking forward to it!!!
I think that this cake is perfect.