Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are very similar to the typical merinque type cookie but w/an added surprise. To make it truly a surprise (as suggested by 2Bleu) try using white-chocochips. :-) (After reading reviews, I have altered the ingredient list).
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 12 ounces chocolate chips or 12 ounces white chocolate chips
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in morsels 1/2 cup at a time.
- Drop by level T. onto greased baking sheets.
- Sprinkle lightly with sugar if desired.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until merinques are dry and crisp.
- cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers.
I have made cookies like these in the past so I knew these would be great this is the first time I have made them with white chocolate chips and will not be the last, this is a wonderful recipe and they were thoroughly enjoyed by all, thanks for sharing hon!
Delicious! I hate to admit it but I increased the sugar to 2/3 cup but only used 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips. I'm not a huge chocolate fan so next time I will reduce the chips to 2/3 cup. Oh, I also added 1 tsp of vanilla when folding in the chocolate chips. Baked them for the required time and let them sit in the oven afterward for 8 hours. Would have gotten them out sooner but I was busy doing something else. These did spread on me so next time I will space them further apart and use 2 cookie sheets. I am very happy with the results. Definitely use parchment paper, makes life so easy!
These cookies went over really well with my 'taste panel' (9&7). They want me to make these 'all the time' now :) I only got 16 cookies though, not sure what i did wrong because they could not be much smaller. Perhaps next time I will increase the egg white mix and keep the chocolate the same, they could definitely bear some extra egg white. Thanks for sharing! Made for Holiday Tag.