1 hr 34 mins
1 hr 19 mins
I found this recipe in Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe Cookbook. I've made it many times and it is delicious. The original recipe called for 1 Tbsp. salt but the last time I made it that was too much so I changed it to 2 tsp..........you may want to adjust the amount lower and taste it before adding more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the chicken in a large, 2 1/2 quart saucepan. Add 6 cups water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until very tener. Remove from broth and let cool. Reserve the broth.
- 2When chicken has cooled off, remove the meat from the bones and dice.
- 3Next, add milk and margarine to the broth. Bring to a simmer.
- 4TO MAKE THE DUMPLINGS: Cut the shortening into the flour, using a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1/2 cup water and stir with a fork, just until dough leaves side of bowl. For rolled dumplings roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 4 x 1/2-inch strips or 2-inch squares. For dropped dumplings, pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Pinch off dough to 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- 5Gradually drop dumplings, one at a time, into boiling broth mixture. Cover, reduce heat and boil gently for 15 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in chicken and heat through.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whistlestop Cafe Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (546 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.3
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 157.6 mg
- Sodium 1498.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 40.6 g