Recipe by Julie Tremmel
Great recipe for all the banana lovers out there. The cooking time is the refrigeration time.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium bananas, peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan; stir well.
- Combine egg yolks, half and half, and milk and beat until blended.
- Gradually stir into sugar mixture until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a glass bowl; stir in butter and vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature.
- Slice one banana and toss with 1 teaspoons of lemon juice to prevent browning. Arrange the sliced banana in the bottom of pastry shell.
- Pour cooled custard gently over banana, cover, and chill until firm.
- Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over pie filling.
- Slice remaining banana and toss with remaining 1 teaspoons of lemon juice; drain juice if any, and arrange on top of pie.