Recipe by Cookin-jo
My version of a Canadian classic from A&W. Recipe is for one hotdog, multiply by how many you need.
Top Review by K9 Owned
Ahhh. The Whistle Dog of my youth! It used to be my favourite thing at A&W. This is a wonderful version. I used a great quality hot dog and only 1 slice of bacon per dog. Toasted the buns under the oven broiler and grilled the hot dogs on an indoor grill. Thanks for sharing. These may very well become our summertime treat!
- 1 hot dog bun
- 1 hot dog, split almost in half lengthwise (good quality please)
- 2 slices bacon, fried to just a bit crisp
- 1 slice processed cheese, halved
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Grill the wiener split side down for a minute or two, while toasting the bun on the high rack of the grill, open face down.
- When they are done immediately add the cheese to the bun so the cheese melts.
- Relish and onion the other side of the bun, add on the dog and bacon and enjoy.
- Ketchup lovers, go right ahead.