Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My version of a Canadian classic from A&W. Recipe is for one hotdog, multiply by how many you need.
- Fry the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- Grill the wiener split side down for a minute or two, while toasting the bun on the high rack of the grill, open face down.
- When they are done immediately add the cheese to the bun so the cheese melts.
- Relish and onion the other side of the bun, add on the dog and bacon and enjoy.
- Ketchup lovers, go right ahead.
Ahhh. The Whistle Dog of my youth! It used to be my favourite thing at A&W. This is a wonderful version. I used a great quality hot dog and only 1 slice of bacon per dog. Toasted the buns under the oven broiler and grilled the hot dogs on an indoor grill. Thanks for sharing. These may very well become our summertime treat!
Loved A&W as a kid (esp. the drive in part), so just had to try this recipe. Easy and tasty change from plain hot dogs, do as Cookin-jo says, and get a good quality dog. I didn't use the outdoor grill, but pan fried the dogs in my cast iron skillet and these were very good. Thanks for sharing!