"Whisking the eggs vigorously (even with an immersion blender) yields fluffy, whispery results" says Kim Sunee. This recipe is adapted with permission from her book, Trail of Crumbs; Hunger, Love and the Search for Home.;) These eggs deserve a delicious sparkling wine, but the right bottle matters. A highly crisp, golden Champagne won't work as well here as a fuller-bodied, rich rosé sparkler that will complement both the crabmeat and the protein of the eggs, and look beautifully festive as well. Rosé Champagnes are very pricey; opt instead for a top-notch California rosé sparkler such as Gloria Ferrer Brut Rosé 2005 from Sonoma, California.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon (we didn't add, personal preference)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
- 16 slices diagonally cut French baguettes, toasted (1/2-inch thick)
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- louisiana hot sauce (optional) or dat'l do-it hot sauce
- 1Combine eggs and egg whites in a large bowl; beat vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute.
- 2Add creme fraiche, salt, and pepper; beat vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute.
- 3Heat butter and oil & crushed red pepper flakes in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4Add shallot to pan; saute 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 5Stir in parsley, tarragon, and thyme; reduce heat to medium-low.
- 6Whisk egg mixture.
- 7Add egg mixture to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- 8Fold in crabmeat; cook 1 minute or until eggs reach desired consistency, stirring gently.
- 9Arrange 4 baguette slices on each of 4 plates; spoon 1 cup egg mixture onto each serving.
- 10Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whispery Scrambled Eggs With Crabmeat and Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 820.7
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 219.1 mg
- Sodium 1811.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 134.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: