Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
"Whisking the eggs vigorously (even with an immersion blender) yields fluffy, whispery results" says Kim Sunee. This recipe is adapted with permission from her book, Trail of Crumbs; Hunger, Love and the Search for Home.;) These eggs deserve a delicious sparkling wine, but the right bottle matters. A highly crisp, golden Champagne won't work as well here as a fuller-bodied, rich rosé sparkler that will complement both the crabmeat and the protein of the eggs, and look beautifully festive as well. Rosé Champagnes are very pricey; opt instead for a top-notch California rosé sparkler such as Gloria Ferrer Brut Rosé 2005 from Sonoma, California.
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon (we didn't add, personal preference)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
- 16 slices diagonally cut French baguettes, toasted (1/2-inch thick)
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- louisiana hot sauce (optional) or dat'l do-it hot sauce
- Combine eggs and egg whites in a large bowl; beat vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute.
- Add creme fraiche, salt, and pepper; beat vigorously with a whisk for 1 minute.
- Heat butter and oil & crushed red pepper flakes in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot to pan; saute 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in parsley, tarragon, and thyme; reduce heat to medium-low.
- Whisk egg mixture.
- Add egg mixture to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Fold in crabmeat; cook 1 minute or until eggs reach desired consistency, stirring gently.
- Arrange 4 baguette slices on each of 4 plates; spoon 1 cup egg mixture onto each serving.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve with hot sauce, if desired.