Recipe by Elly in Canada
A delicious spread to serve with Oatcakes or other favourite crackers. Source: The Canadian Living Magazine
Top Review by French Tart
I used the whisky of course! GREAT spread with a lovely kick - I used Seriously Strong white Cheddar cheese and also sprinkled some oats and assorted grains on top before serving with oatcakes............a KEEPER; for sandwiches, oatcakes, crackers and I am going to try it on toast too! Made for the Aussie/NZ Swap and Prop it Up - great recipe thanks Elly! Merci beaucoup encore, FT:-)
- 1⁄3 cup hazelnuts
- 2 cups extra-old cheddar cheese, diced and at room temperature (10 oz/300 g)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- On small rimmed baking sheet, toast hazelnuts in 350°F (180°C) oven until golden and fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
- In food processor, combine cheese, butter, whisky, mustard and pepper until smooth.
- Pulse in 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the hazelnuts just until mixed.
- Scrape into bowl; sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
- (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.).