Recipe by Engrossed
From: “The Africa Kitchen by Josie Stow and Jan Baldwin”. I changed this to use vanilla extract because otherwise you would have to make your own vanilla brown sugar. This also says in Africa they top the oatmeal with Amarula fruit cream liqueur instead of the whisky and vanilla brown sugar.
- 532.32-828.06 ml milk
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.16 ml whipped cream
Choice of topping 1
- 59.16 ml brown sugar
- 3-6 fluid ounce whiskey (2-4 shots)
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Choice of topping 2
- 3-6 fluid ounce Amarula cream liqueur (2-4 shots )
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to a boil.
- Whisk in rolled oats and cook for 3-5 minutes until thick. *If you prefer your oatmeal thinner, gradually add more hot milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls, place a large dollop of cream in the center of each one.
- Topping 1: Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Mix vanilla with whiskey if using and drizzle over the top.
- Topping 2: Drizzle Amarula over the top.