Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
From: “The Africa Kitchen by Josie Stow and Jan Baldwin”. I changed this to use vanilla extract because otherwise you would have to make your own vanilla brown sugar. This also says in Africa they top the oatmeal with Amarula fruit cream liqueur instead of the whisky and vanilla brown sugar.
- 2 1⁄4-3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons whipped cream
Choice of topping 1
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 -6 fluid ounces whiskey (2-4 shots)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Choice of topping 2
- 3 -6 fluid ounces Amarula cream liqueur (2-4 shots )
- Bring milk to a boil.
- Whisk in rolled oats and cook for 3-5 minutes until thick. *If you prefer your oatmeal thinner, gradually add more hot milk until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Spoon into individual serving bowls, place a large dollop of cream in the center of each one.
- Topping 1: Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Mix vanilla with whiskey if using and drizzle over the top.
- Topping 2: Drizzle Amarula over the top.
What a fabulous way to start the day...a shot of good whiskey, health oats and i added the bananas too.
Whiskey and oatmeal...that got my curiosity going. I made this with topping 1 and used homemade vanilla extract. I made the oats as directed, sprinkled brown sugar over the oats and then drizzled the whiskey/vanilla mixture over the oats. I added half a banana cut into slices and topped everything off with the whipped cream. Delicious and satisfying. I didn't really taste the whiskey at all...it may have been due to the banana slices. Made for ZWT4.
This made this last night, I didn't have any Amarula like I thought I did when I first decided to make this for the ZWT Dessert Challenge. I used Hot Dam*! Cinnamon Schnapps as a sweetener instead of sugar For some reason my whipping cream didn't whip up very well. That's okay I used it anyways. It sweetened the oatmeal without being too sweet or overpoering the oatmeal. I used 2 shots of the Hot Damn! which was just about right. Thanks for sharing your recipe Engrossed. Made for the ZWT Dessert Challenge and the Cafe ZMAKK Gyosies.