Adapted from The Shanty restaurant in Wadsworth Il. Put here for safe keeping. Great served with fresh steamed vegetables.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped (about 6 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chicken base (better than bullion paste)
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 8 jumbo shrimp, peeled deveined and tails removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 4 ounces whiskey (Jack Daniels)
- 4 slices French bread, skinny loaf sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- SAUCE: To a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. NOTE: Extra sauce (if any) can be kept in the refrigerator for about a week.
- SHRIMP: Sauté shrimp in butter and spices. Let brown until almost cooked through.
- Remove from heat, add whiskey to sauté pan and flambé‘. When the flame goes down, add about 1 cup of sauce and let melt together in the pan.
- BREAD: Drizzle (or brush) slices with olive oil and grill (or bake) both sides until lightly toasted.
- SERVE: Top each piece of toast with a piece of shrimp then pour sauce over top, dousing bread and shrimp.
- Garnish with sautéed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, red bell pepper, yellow squash).