Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
This is something I whipped up in my kitchen for the family for the first time tonight. Even my 2 year old ate her fill! I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs but any type of chicken will do.
- 2 ounces favorite whiskey
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 cup liquid smoke
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 3 lbs chicken (any type of skin, skinless, bone in or bone out)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (separated)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fine salt (table salt will do)
- 2 cups favorite beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups peanut oil
- Marinade Preparation:.
- Mix liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in herbs and spices.
- Pour over chicken.
- Marinade in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Batter preparation:.
- Place 3 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl. Set the other two cups aside for later.
- Mix in ¾ tsp salt.
- Pour in 2 cups beer and whisk until evenly mixed. The mix will be thick.
- Slowly add small amounts of water, mixing thoroughly until batter is a pancake mix consistency. You may not need all of the water. Be careful not to thin the batter too much.
- Crack and add 3 eggs, mix thoroughly.
- Place in the refrigerator uncovered for at least one hour.
- Cooking Preparation:.
- Remove chicken marinade and beer batter from refrigerator.
- Place the two cups of flour set aside from the batter recipe on a plate or a flat surface.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to just before the smoke point (temperature varies by oil type). If the oil is smoking, reduce heat.
- Lightly flour chicken pieces and place in batter with a pair of tongs. After chicken pieces are thoroughly coated, SLOWLY place into the oil in the frying pan.
- Let cook for 5 to 7 minutes undisturbed and gently flip. Repeat process until the chicken pieces have reached an internal temperature of 170 degrees and is golden brown. It is important to let the chicken cook undisturbed, only moving it to flip.
- Place chicken on a wire baking rack to drain and cool (paper towels will cause the chicken to become soft and mushy on the bottom). Once cool, serve and enjoy!
- refrigerate any unused batter.