Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Very easy. My mom signed up for the church bake sale and forgot about it until the last minute. She got this recipe from a former co-worker and whipped it, having all ingredients on hand at the time. When she dropped it off at the church, they asked her the name of it. Not wanting to say, "Whiskey Cake", it being for a church bake sale, she said, "Bundt Surprise". And that is how it got its second name and to this day, we still get a real giggle out of it! Prep time does not include set and fridge time.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) packagejello vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 9 ounces whiskey, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven 325°.
- In a bowl, mix the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, 1 oz whiskey, milk, oil and walnuts.
- Grease and flour a tubed bundt pan.
- Pour mixture and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Towards the end of the baking time for bundt in oven, combine butter, sugar and 1 cup (8 oz) whiskey in a saucepan on top of stove and bring to a boil.
- Pour this mixture of glaze (must be boiling) over top of baked bundt as soon as it's taken out of oven.
- Set for 2 hours then place in refrigerator until serving.
I don't think there is any "surprise" that there is whiskey in this! :) The smell and taste of the whiskey is definitely still there, but mmmmm--a very yummy cake!
My mom has made this for years, dad requested for his birthday every year. It's now one of my husband's favorites as well. One difference though, I've never used whiskey, we're always used dark rum so I guess it's a matter of preference. Don't forget to top it off with a dollop of real whipped cream!