Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A fine texture cake served with berries and whipped cream.
Make and share this Whipping Cream Sponge Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar, to be beaten in a 1/4 cup at a time
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml whipping cream, chilled
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 354.88 ml self-rising flour
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium deep bowl, beat eggs, vanilla extract and salt for 2 minutes until frothy.
- Add the sugar a 1/4 cup at a time to the frothy eggs and continue to beat until thick and pale yellow - this will take at least 5 minutes.
- In another bowl whip the cream until thickish - NOT stiff!
- Add the the egg and sugar mixture and the lemon zest to the whipped cream and beat until well blended.
- Lastly sift in the cake flour together with the baking soda and baking powder.
- Pour batter into a sprayed and floured 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until wooden pick tests clean.
- Brush with glaze while warm.
- GLAZE: (Optional) - over medium heat dissolve 1/4 sugar in lemon juice. Brush or pour over loaf.
- Serve by the slice with macerated berries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Light and fluffy. Easy to make and very nice to eat!! I made mine with whipped cream and stawberries and it was soooooooo yummy.