Recipe by Juenessa
From Bon Appetit, October 1997.
Top Review by Kat's Mom
A nice way to get your vitamins and minerals. This complemented BBQ ribs well. I am sure kids would love this casserole. Three potatoes makes the amount a bit vague and I hope I got the proportions right since I used one *huge* sweet potato for half the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
For sweet potatoes
- 22 ounces red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (yams, about 2 large)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sweet potatoes:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain; transfer potatoes to large bowl and add butter.
- Using electric mixer, beat until smooth.
- Add egg, sugar, spice and salt; beat to blend.
- Transfer mixture to 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- Bake potatoes until beginning to brown around edges and slightly puffed, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping:.
- Mix together all ingredients in medium bowl.
- Spoon topping evenly over potatoes.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes longer.