Recipe by Dancer^
I'm serving this for Christmas dinner, I have made it twice and never had a problem. I use the microwave for the steaming. Points 2.
Top Review by john21a
I loved this idea, but not the butter. In a double steamer, I prepared the potatoes, started cooking them, and then sliced up the apple in the second tier, and put them over the potatoes. Potatoes cooked 12 mins., apples 10. Mashed potatoes with honey, wine vinegar, lemon juice. Poured apples over potatoes, and voila, delicious!! and healthy.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, about 6 medium ones
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons pure dark maple syrup
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 golden delicious apple
- nonstick cooking spray
- nutmeg (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 2-inch cubes.
- Steam them in a steamer basket, or in a pot with 1/4 cup of water, cover and steam for 10 to15 minutes or until the cubes are tender. (You can also steam them in the microwave.)
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- Add the canola oil and maple syrup to the hot sweet potatoes and mash with a fork or a masher until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the sweet potatoes into the prepared dish, making an even layer.
- Melt the 2 teaspoons of butter in the microwave.
- Peel, halve and core the apple.
- Place each half, cut-side down, on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into thin slices.
- Arrange the slices in overlapping rows to cover the sweet potatoes. Brush the apples lightly with the melted butter.
- Bake uncovered until the sweet potatoes are heated through and the apple slices have softened, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with nutmeg sprinkled on top.