I'm serving this for Christmas dinner, I have made it twice and never had a problem. I use the microwave for the steaming. Points 2.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 2-inch cubes.
- 2Steam them in a steamer basket, or in a pot with 1/4 cup of water, cover and steam for 10 to15 minutes or until the cubes are tender. (You can also steam them in the microwave.)
- 3Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl.
- 4Add the canola oil and maple syrup to the hot sweet potatoes and mash with a fork or a masher until smooth.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- 7Spread the sweet potatoes into the prepared dish, making an even layer.
- 8Melt the 2 teaspoons of butter in the microwave.
- 9Peel, halve and core the apple.
- 10Place each half, cut-side down, on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into thin slices.
- 11Arrange the slices in overlapping rows to cover the sweet potatoes. Brush the apples lightly with the melted butter.
- 12Bake uncovered until the sweet potatoes are heated through and the apple slices have softened, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- 13Serve warm or at room temperature with nutmeg sprinkled on top.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whipped Sweet Potatoes With Apples
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.5
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.7 mg
- Sodium 73.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 2.1 g