Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Excellent side dish to your holiday turkey or ham.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks (3 1/2 lbs)
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In a large pot of boiling water,cook sweet potatoes until tender - about 20 minutes. Drain well. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. With a potato masher, break up large pieces of potato. Place potatoes in large bowl of electric mixer; at low speed, beat potatoes well.
- Gradually beat in brown sugar, butter, cream, allspice and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Spread the potato mixture into a buttered 2-quart oven-to-table casserole. Or, spread two thirds of the potato mixture into the buttered casserole and spoon the remaining mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip. Pipe potato mixture around top edge of casserole.
- Bake until heated through and lightly browned - about 30 minutes.