Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr
A steak lover's delight! Perfect with ribeye, prime rib, or sirloin. I like it on steak sandwiches or to dip steak fries in. Decadent for sure! Servings are approximate. Cook time includes chill time.
- Line a fine mesh sieve with cheesecloth. Strain the horseradish for 2-3 minutes, or until reduced to 3/4 cup. Press on the horseradish with a spoon or squeeze the cheesecloth to extract all the liquid.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the cream with a wire whisk until it thickens to the consistency of sour cream. You can use an electric mixer set on medium-high, but watch carefully so that the cream does not overwhip.
- Add the horseradish, mustard, salt, pepper and Tabasco.
- Whisk until thickened using a wire whisk or electric mixer. The sauce should be moist and the consistency of whipped cream.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then serve immediately or transfer to a covered storage container and refrigerate up to an additional day.
This makes a HUGE amount of horseradish. We'd lost our recipe and were looking for one similar and this was the closest we could find, as well as we could remember. We never used to put in mustard or tobasco sauce though. The only mustard we had happened to be horseradish mustard, so we didn't really taste it much. And we didn't have tobasco sauce. Nonetheless, it was very good. Will probably use it again.
This was very nice indeed - and I know my horseradish sauce!! I used creme fraiche in place of the heavy cream - it was a good substitute. I liked the addition of the tabasco sauce, but was a little unsure about the addition of the Dijon mustard......that is just personal taste! A very nice LIGHT horseradish sauce however, many thanks for this easy and imaginative recipe! FT:-)
This has a very mild horseradish flavor and the texture is different. I tried it with grilled steaks and, while it was OK, it's not something I'd use again with steaks. Maybe other meats or like AshK said, steak fries. I cut the recipe in half, but used a full 1/2 cup of drained horseradish and still thought it was a little weak.