Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This easy impressive layer cake is great for any special loved one, Valentine's day or not. From Lion House Cookbook.
- 1 (10 inch) angel food cake, baked and cooled or store-bought
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries or 1 (10 ounce) package raspberries, thawed
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups heavy cream, whipped until stiff
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cut angel food cake into 3 horizontal layers.
- Drain juice from thawed berries into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over juice and allow to stand until softened.
- Set small bowl in a larger bowl of hot water and stir until gelatin dissolves. Combine gelatin muxture with berries and cool slightly. (if mixture cools too much, gelatin will set.).
- Add sugar and vanilla to whipped cream. Fold berries into cream. (It may seem too juicy but it will soon set up.)
- Alternate cake layers with generous layers of cream mixture. Adjust top cake layer and spread remaining cream over entire top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until firm.
Delicious and beautiful! I'll be making this one again, and not just on Valentine's Day!
Don't wait until Valentine's Day to make this, it is delicious anytime, I served this for a dessert over the weekend using frozen strawberries that I froze from the summer season, my family really enjoyed it, I wouldn't change a thing except mabey to increase the whipped cream slightly, thanks hon!...Kitten:)