Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You know you are a Rhode Islander when you know what a "Whimpy Skimpy" is! These have been made at Caserta's Pizza on Federal Hill, since 1946. Another R.I. institution!
- 1 (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped black olives
- 1 pepperoni, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- garlic salt or garlic powder, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the spinach according to package directions; drain well.
- Combine with the black olives, pepperoni, mozzarella, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Place a portion of the spinach mixture on each piece of dough.
- Close each piece of dough and seal to make a turnover.
- Brush each turnover with olive oil.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
I thought this recipe was very close to the real deal. The only change I made was I doubled the spinach....awesome!!
It may be nostalgia (I've enjoyed the "real deal" many times) but these are fantastic. Thanks for taking me back to RI! The combo of these flavors just can't be beat--just be sure to use a spring water for your dough outside of New England.