Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
You know you are a Rhode Islander when you know what a "Whimpy Skimpy" is! These have been made at Caserta's Pizza on Federal Hill, since 1946. Another R.I. institution!
- 1 (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped black olives
- 1 pepperoni, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- garlic salt or garlic powder, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 lbs pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the spinach according to package directions; drain well.
- Combine with the black olives, pepperoni, mozzarella, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal pieces.
- Place a portion of the spinach mixture on each piece of dough.
- Close each piece of dough and seal to make a turnover.
- Brush each turnover with olive oil.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.