Recipe by drhousespcatcher
A tofu recipe. Modified from the original which called for chicken on skewers. Note place two skewers through the tofu to keep it from spinning. The original recipe was called Fragrant chicken skewers in an Asian Marinade from the Loonyspoons Crazy Plate cookbook. If anyone has a burning desire to have the original let me know by zmail or by posting to the request forum.
- 1 (12 ounce) packageasian spiced tofu, water packed
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 spring onion, green and white, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, see note
- 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 tablespoons liquid amino acid or 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional) or 1⁄8 cup water (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Notes: If possible use the coriander seed and fresh grind it for best taste. The optional water or olive oil. If using one do not use the other. Make sure you press the cotton also called water packed tofu before marinating.
- Also note: You may use up to 1/2 tsp ginger. The recipe called for two small knobs of ginger. If you are holding fresh ginger it would be the small bumps.
- Combine all ingredients with the Asian tofu in a bowl with a plastic lid. Seal and refrigerate for about 24 hours making sure that you turn several times to cover. The oil will add fat but helps cling however if extra care is given to turning you simply don't need it.
- Soak your skewers before using and insert two into your tofu. You may spray lightly with Olivio or olive oil to help with the grilling. You may also insert your favorite veggies in between the skewered tofu.
- When the tofu starts to brown turn gently. Important NOTE: If you have not drained the tofu before marinating it will NOT brown.
- It will still taste the same, just not be as grilled looking. The general time is about 5 minutes each side.
- Makes about 6-8 skewers depending on what you place on with it and how large you make your squares.
- Serve on a bed of seasoned rice with plum sauce or another favorite sauce for dipping.
- Also note this is not a beginners recipe for tofu. Some knowledge of working with the product is needed so you have the feel for making the cubes. Cubed tofu is available from some markets to cure that. [grin].