I have been making these scones for a long time now and they are so quick to make and if like me you are a diabetic you can have these as they are very plain or you can add to them by the way of reduced sugar jam or cheese. I like to freeze them and when I feel in need of something they only take 30seconds in the micro to thaw and are just like they were right out of the oven. I found this recipe on a web site but can't remember which one but it's a very old recipe. You can use what flour ratio you like I usually do half of one and half of the other.
- Pre heat oven to 200/180 fan /gas 6
- Sieve flour, salt, baking soda in a bowl then add the w/w flour and mix well.
- Rub in butter if using.
- Make a well in middle and pour in the buttermilk egg mixture and mix quickly do not over mix it must be a soft mix.
- Roll out to 1 inch thick and cut out or you can cut into triangles.
- I brush with a bit of milk and top with a sprinkle of wheat bran.
- Bake in oven 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and cover with a clean tea towel.
What a lovely morning delight. Especially on a chill Oct morn when still steaming from the oven. I made just 4 and I greatly enjoyed 2 of them for bekkie with a grand cuppa. There is a nice chew to the crust with a soft and moist inside. I didn't use it but, oh my, would ginger marmalade be a perfect spread with these marvelous scones.