- 3 cups flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup flour, all purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, stir together whole wheat and all-purpose flours, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Make a well in centre; add buttermilk and orange rind.
- Mix just until dough is soft but not sticky.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead 10 times.
- Put dough into greased 8 x 4 in (1.5 L) loaf pan.
- Bake in 350F (180C) oven 20 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 300F (150C); bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until a cake tester inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean.
- Turn out onto wire rack.