Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Find wheat berries in health food stores or gourmet groceries. this recipe came from Diana Shaw's book Almost Vegetarian. time includes soaking beans.
- 1 cup navy beans
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped without leaves
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves whole garlic, peeled
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bouquet garni (containing 6 celery leaves and 1 tablespoon thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper
- Place navy beans in large bowl and wheat berries in a separate bowl.
- Bring 6 cups water to boil and pour half of water over beans and half over wheat berries.
- Set both aside for two hours.
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, leek, celery, carrot and garlic.
- Stir until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes.
- Drain the beans and add them to the vegetables.
- Stir to coat.
- Add broth, boquet garni and bay leaf.
- Cover the saucepan, increase heat to medium high, and bring to a boil.
- Lover the heat to medium low and simmer until the beans have cooked, about an hour.
- Remove boquet garni and bay leaf, and transfer the soup to a food processor or blender.
- Blend in short pulses to make a chunky soup rather than a puree.
- Return the soup to the pan, Or use an immersion blender to process soup in pan.
- Drain the wheat berries and add them to the saucepan Bring soup to a boil again over medium high heat, cover and lower heat to medium low.
- Simmer until the wheat berries are tender, about 50 minutes.
- Stir often to keep the wheat berries from sticking to the pot, Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice, and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.