Recipe by Manami
From the Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002. Haven't tried it as yet but it looked good.
- 1 cup hard winter wheatberries
- kosher salt
- 1 cup diced red onion (1 onion)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the wheatberries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until they are soft.
- Sauté the red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent, aprroximately 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons(1/4 cup) of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm wheatberries, sauteéd onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon(each) salt and pepper.(Of course, oi and vinegar).
- Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheatberries to absorb the sauce.
- Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.