Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I was out of cornmeal and wanted to make cornbread. Two recipes were created from the empty can in my pantry.
- 1 (10 ounce) box wheat thins crackers, coursely crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 (1/4 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) canmild diced green chilies
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 3 stalks celery, thin sliced and diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1⁄2 lb ground turkey or 1⁄2 lb ground chicken or 1⁄2 lb ground ham
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, add eggs, milk and 2 tblsp. vegetable oil. Wisk until mixed.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, Splenda.
- Add egg mixture and blend.
- Mix in carrots, and wheat thin crackers, green chiles,then meat.(Use only 1/2 pound of any meat).
- Heat frying pan or griddle with 1 tblsp. oil.
- Drop fritter batter by heaping tablespoon on griddle. Batter will spread some.
- Cook on medium heat until bottom is starting to turn brown and dry on the edges.
- Turn over and flatten a little with your spatula. Cook until bottom is slightly browned.
- Add more oil and cook second batch on the griddle.
- Keep cooked fritters warm in the oven on a platter.
- Serve with fried potatoes or scalloped potatoes.