Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I was out of cornmeal--now what? I wanted to make cornbread. Took out a box of Wheat Thin crackers and here is the result. I also made another recipe.
- 1 (10 ounce) box wheat thins crackers, original flavor, coarsely crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 (1/4 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (4 ounce) canmild diced green chilies
- Pam cooking spray
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs, oil and milk together; set Aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar substitute.
- Note: Pour out the Wheat Thin crackers into a bag or board to crush. If there is fine grains on the bottom of box, do not pour.
- It is extra salt! Wheat Thins have their share of salt and no extra salt is needed in recipe.
- Add the egg, oil and baking powder mixture to the dry mixture. Stir to mix. Add in the crushed Wheat Thins and the green chilies.
- The mixture should be a heavy batter consistency. If it seems too heavy, add a little more milk by the tablespoon full.
- Spray Pam in an 11x7 Pyrex or baking pan.
- Preheat oven 425°F.
- Pour into pan and bake 25 minutes until top is starting to brown and is firm to the touch.
- Serve with honey butter. I know some people who like it cold with milk.