Recipe by Montana Heart Song
In Montana this is quite a common fruit salad at potlucks. I used red durham wheat. You can use any raw wheat that has been washed. Go to a bulk foods place where they have barrels of spices and different foods and you can dip a scoop in and sack. We definitely do not call it "wheatberries" here but perhaps that is the name in the store.The best part is that it is easy, makes a lot and is a crowd pleaser. I guarantee the bowl will be wiped clean.
Top Review by KennKonn
I made this on request from my brother. I didnt measure the wheat but I doubled the cream cheese/ pudding part of the recipe for my son's birthday party yesterday. The recipe was easy to follow and tasted great. I have never cooked wheat, have only ground it into flour. It was time comsuming but easy enough to stir every once in a while. It was devoured quickly and all I have left is a small bowl full...I did send some home with the brother because he liked it so much. I do have left over wheat in the deepfreeze to make it again because I did get carried away with the amount. My MIL loved it and I am sending the recipe home with her so she can make it for an upcoming retirement party for work. Thanks a bunch for a new salad idea.
- 1 cup raw wheat, cleaned and washed
- 6 -7 cups water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 21 ounces crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 (14 ounce) container Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, add wheat and 6 cups of water. Cook about 3 hours on low heat. Add one more cup of water if necessary Do not let wheat burn. The wheat will puff up and be very soft. Stir once in a while. Watch the water.
- Drain any remaining water in colandar. Rinse with cool water.
- In mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, instant vanilla pudding and crushed pineapple and juice. Beat on low speed until mixed.
- Add cool whip, and mix in low speed.
- Add cooked rinsed wheat, and fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Note: You can use Instant Pistashio Pudding or instant lemon pudding.
- You can also freeze this salad. A long keeper dish for the refrigerator too.