Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From 'Mediterranean Fresh', by Joyce Goldstein. Sounds delicious. Using Farro Wheat which has a nutty taste & texture. Don't overcook the grain. You want it tender but still chewy. Start checking for 'doneness' after 20 minutes. PS: I've made this using pearl barley as I didn't have any Farro wheat. This sub worked really well. My picture shows the barley version.
- 591.47 ml water, add more if necessary
- sea salt
- 236.59 ml farro wheat
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 177.44 ml mint vinaigrette
- black pepper
- 118.29 ml red onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 236.59 ml cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, small seeded and chopped
- arugula, leaves large handful roughly chopped
- 0 flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 59.14 ml of fresh mint, chopped
- black olives, oil cured for garnish
- Bring water to boil and add Farro Wheat and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until done. If Farro is ready but not all the water absorbed, drain grain in a sieve.
- Place the drained farro in a bowl, toss with EVO and let cool.
- When cooled, toss the farro with half the dressing and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in the onion, celery, cucmber, tomatoes, argula, parsley, mint and remaining dressing and toss again.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Garnish with olives.
- Serve at room temperature.
Happy to be the first to say YUM!! This is like a whole wheat tabbouli. I typically double recipes for my chowhound family but didn't need to this time - this recipe makes a lot! Also, I don't recommend adding arugula to the mix - it wilts fast. I served the salad on the arugula which worked well. Delicious & healthy!! Also very filling. :) Made for Aussie Swap 5/13.