1/1 Photo of Wheat Salad With Vegetables
Kiwi Kathy's Note:
From 'Mediterranean Fresh', by Joyce Goldstein. Sounds delicious. Using Farro Wheat which has a nutty taste & texture. Don't overcook the grain. You want it tender but still chewy. Start checking for 'doneness' after 20 minutes. PS: I've made this using pearl barley as I didn't have any Farro wheat. This sub worked really well. My picture shows the barley version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups water, add more if necessary
- sea salt
- 1 cup farro wheat
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup mint vinaigrette
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, small seeded and chopped
- arugula, leaves large handful roughly chopped
- 1/4 flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- black olives, oil cured for garnish
- 1Bring water to boil and add Farro Wheat and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until done. If Farro is ready but not all the water absorbed, drain grain in a sieve.
- 2Place the drained farro in a bowl, toss with EVO and let cool.
- 3When cooled, toss the farro with half the dressing and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Fold in the onion, celery, cucmber, tomatoes, argula, parsley, mint and remaining dressing and toss again.
- 5Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- 6Garnish with olives.
- 7Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wheat Salad With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.5
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flat leaf parsley