1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I got this from a Taste of Home magazine, but changed it by adding whole wheat flour to make it more healthy. With the great taste of ranch dressing mix, you will be asked to make this again and again. Prep time is rising time. You can cut the recipe in half to make 2 loaves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110*-115*)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm buttermilk (110*-115*)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 (1 ounce) packages original ranch dressing mix (or you may just use 1 pkg. dressing mix)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 -4 cups whole wheat flour
- additional butter, melted
- 1Dissolve yeast in a mixing bowl with warm water. Add 1 teaspoons sugar and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the buttermilk(heated buttermilk will apper curdled), butter, eggs, ranch dressing mix, salt, 4 cups of the all purpose flour and remaining sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 3Stir in enough remaining flour(all purpose and whole wheat) to form a soft dough.
- 4Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise about 1 hour.
- 5Punch dough down. turn onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 14" x 12" rectangle. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on two greased baking sheets.
- 6With a sharp knife, make five shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 7Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wheat Ranch French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1983 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1289.0
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 205.4 mg
- Sodium 1555.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 216.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 31.7 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
original ranch dressing mix