Recipe by allona519
Fluffy and just the right size! Also works for hotdog buns. For an even fluffier bun, decrease some of the wheat flour and replace with white. Wheat breads tend to be more dense, though so much healthier!
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegan butter (try Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey, if you prefer)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg substitute (try Ener-G egg replacer)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk, water and butter in a small saucepan until hot (not boiling) or about 120 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, mix together 1 1/2 cups of the wheat flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Then add the egg.
- Stir while gradually mixing in the other 1 cup of wheat flour and the 2 cups of white flour. Knead bread on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. about 8 minutes.
- Shape dough into a large, semi-flattened ball. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Shape pieces into balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly.
- Cover dough and let rise for 35 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.