Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups very warm water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Combine 1 cup of the flour, the wheat ger, yeast and salt in a large bowl.
- Add very warm water (it should feel warm when dropped on wrist), butter and molasses.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed with electric mixer.
- Add 1/2 cup more flour and beat at high speed 2 minutes scraping down sides of bowl.
- With a wooden spoon, beat in enough additional flour to make a stiff batter.
- Cover bowl with clean towel and let rise in a warm place away from drafts for 45 minutes or until double in bulk.
- Punch dough down, beat for 30 seconds with wooden spoon.
- Place in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 minute or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from casserole.
- Serve warm or cool completely.