Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a healthy tasty loaf - wonderful served for breakfast or lunch with fresh fruit salad and cottage cheese. You can also serve this warm, sliced with honey on the side Freezes well
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (lite Olive oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
- Beat the eggs until they are light in color and thickened, beat in the honey, oil,& applesauce Stir in the nuts& lemon rind.
- Mix the dry ingredients, stirring until well mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir gently until just mixed Pour into a greased loaf pan (3L, apprx 9 3/4 x 5 3/4" pan).
- Bake in a 350F oven for apprx 1 hour.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and finish cooling on a rack.
Great loaf Bergy!! This is one I'll be making for Christmas and freezing, just made one change, had no wheat bran, but I did have some oat bran, so I used it, worked just fine! wonderfull combination of flavours, honey, lemon, applesauce and the spices and the nuts add a great touch, I used walnuts. Enjoyed the light lemony spicy taste. Thanks for sharing!!