Recipe by Bergy
This is a healthy tasty loaf - wonderful served for breakfast or lunch with fresh fruit salad and cottage cheese. You can also serve this warm, sliced with honey on the side Freezes well
Top Review by Derf
Great loaf Bergy!! This is one I'll be making for Christmas and freezing, just made one change, had no wheat bran, but I did have some oat bran, so I used it, worked just fine! wonderfull combination of flavours, honey, lemon, applesauce and the spices and the nuts add a great touch, I used walnuts. Enjoyed the light lemony spicy taste. Thanks for sharing!!
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil (lite Olive oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup wheat bran
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the eggs until they are light in color and thickened, beat in the honey, oil,& applesauce Stir in the nuts& lemon rind.
- Mix the dry ingredients, stirring until well mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir gently until just mixed Pour into a greased loaf pan (3L, apprx 9 3/4 x 5 3/4" pan).
- Bake in a 350F oven for apprx 1 hour.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and finish cooling on a rack.