Prep 7 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are easy to prepare, are low carb, moist and delicious. They'd pass for a cupcake with a little frosting, too. The secret is in the finely ground flax seed meal - either grind your own or give the commercially ground meal about ten extra seconds in your blade coffee/spice grinder or blender. Cook's note: if you want to increase the yield on these, add 1/2 cup milk: almond, rice, or soy. And add 1 1/2 cups of bran. When I'm not doing wheat-free, I use wheat bran, but oat bran will do. If you do go the bran route, add 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp plain vinegar to the recipe: these puppies will rise better if you do. (thanks for posting a picture, sweetcakes!)
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups flax seed meal, finely ground
- 1 cup soy flour
- Put all the ingredients except the soy flour and flax seed meal into the food processor and blend until well mixed.
- Add the flours and pulse until just blended.
- Scoop into greased muffin cups and bake at 425 for 25 minutes.
- These freeze well.
These muffins are soo tasty! They really are very moist and if you wanted to splurge a little you could drizzle some icing on top. I do like these as is though..they are that good! I made the original recipe and they were done in 19 min in my stove. Thanks for posting this, I'll be making these all the time!
This recipe is quite good!
I modified by using 1 whole egg 3 whites, and liquid stevia instead of Splenda. I also used Energy brown rice flour since I was out of soy flour. The recipe worked out just fine....very good recipe - thanks!
I am not a big fan of soy flour, but trying to be a little more gluten-free in the diet, so decided to try these. They are really very moist and have lots of flavor. The texture is better than I expected, and I think that is because of the flax seed meal. I also like the texture whole flax seeds, so will add some to the mix next time. Thanks for this keeper.