Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Original recipe. This recipe uses spelt flour instead of wheat flour. For best results, obtain white spelt flour from a natural food market or from http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon saf-instant yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄4 cups white spelt flour
- 1 leek, 3 inches of white part
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 2 green onions
- Place the leek, green onions, dill and rosemary in a blender or food processor and mince.
- Heat the milk and dissolve in it the turbinado and salt, and melt in it the butter.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Once the milk has cooled, add the milk, flour, and leak/onion/herb mixture, and stir well with a large wooden spoon.
- When the batter is smooth, cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Punch down and beat vigorously for a few minutes, then turn into a greased bread pan.
- Let stand in a warm place for about 10 minutes before placing in a pre-heated 350-degree oven.
- Bake about 45 minutes.