Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is based on my Crunchy Granola (Muesli), but has been revised to cater for a friend who can’t eat wheat. I could have just noted the differences on the original recipe, but I wanted this recipe title to reflect the fact it is wheat-free (making it much easier for people who are searching for such recipes). I usually double the amounts shown here. If you decide to do the same, make sure you have a large enough pan. My ceramic roasting pan—which is 11" x 14"—holds a double recipe comfortably. My photo is of the dry ingredients.
- 946.36 ml rolled oats
- 118.29 ml rice bran
- 118.29 ml barley natural bran
- 236.59 ml finely shredded coconut
- 59.14 ml sesame seeds
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds
- 2.46 ml cinnamon (optional)
- 118.29 ml raisins (currants and diced apricots are also good) or 118.29 ml other dried fruit (currants and diced apricots are also good)
- 118.29 ml butter
- 59.14-118.29 ml honey (depending on your sweet tooth)
- 7.39 ml milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in the baking pan (first seven items). Raisins (or other dried fruits) are added after cooking.
- Heat the butter, honey, milk and salt in a small saucepan until all the butter melts.
- Dribble honey–butter mixture over dry ingredients, and mix well to moisten all the dry ingredients.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes (depending on how hot your oven runs), stirring frequently.
- This can easily over-brown (burn), so keep an eye on it.
- Remove from oven and stir in the raisins or other dried fruit.
- When cool, store in an airtight container. It keeps very well.
This is not gluten-free, barley has gluten in it. Wheat-free and gluten-free are not the same thing!
We greatly enjoyed this muesli for breakfast this morning. We tested it with milk and then also spooned over Zoi (made in Washington state) vanilla yogurt. I used long grain brown jasmine rice and whole barley by whirling both grains in together in a spice mill/coffee grinder to cornmeal consistency. Half of the raisins were replaced with dried cranberries. The temperature was reduced to 325º and the mixture was perfectly browned and baked a total of 25 minutes. Will make again soon as it was well received! Prepared for Make My Recipe Downunder.
Did make a double batch of this GREAT GRANOLA, as I have several friends who have no tolerance to wheat products ~ This made a wonderful gift for them, along with the recipe! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]